COVID-19 Relief Funding Available Through CARES Act
The Michigan Department of Health and Human Services (MDHHS) announced that on June 9, 2020, the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, released information on additional funds targeted to Medicaid and Children’s Health Insurance Program through the Provider Relief Fund as a part of the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security Act.
According to MDHHS, Medicaid providers are eligible to apply for Medicaid Targeted Distribution funds if they meet the following criteria:
- Must not have received payment from the $50 billion General Distribution.
- Must have directly billed Medicaid for healthcare-related services between January 1, 2018 - December 31, 2019, or own (on the application date) an included subsidiary that has billed Medicaid for healthcare-related services between January 1, 2018, to December 31, 2019. Based upon HHS guidance, providers may apply for this program if: (1) they participate in the Medicaid program on a fee-for-service basis; or (2) they participate in a Medicaid managed care organization. MDHHS contracts with several types of managed care organizations through the Medicaid program, which includes Medicaid Health Plans, Prepaid Inpatient Health Plans, Integrated Care Organizations, MI Choice Waiver Agents, and Healthy Kids Dental plans.
- Must have provided patient care after January 31, 2020.
- Must not have permanently ceased providing patient care directly or indirectly through included subsidiaries.
- Must have either filed a federal income tax return for fiscal years 2017, 2018 or 2019 or be an entity exempt from the requirement to file a federal income tax return and have no beneficial owner that is required to file a federal income tax return (e.g. a state-owned hospital or healthcare clinic).
- If the applicant is an individual, have gross receipts or sales from providing patient care reported on Form 1040, Schedule C, Line 1, excluding income reported on a W-2 as a (statutory) employee.
Visit Michigan.gov for detailed information on eligibility criteria and the application process.
The deadline to apply has been extended to August 3, 2020. Please apply for relief funding as soon as possible.