To be successful in minimizing the inappropriate use of the emergency room, it is important to establish clear guidelines for both patients and staff to follow. OSP has assembled the following tools to assist you in creating an environment that promotes a team effort towards achieving this goal.
- Implementation Guide
- Patient Admission, Discharge, Transfer ER notifications (the ADT section allows your practice to receive real time patient data from a multitude of medical facilities)
- Office Poster ~ Appropriate ER Use Wall Chart
Develop a patient welcome letter and telephone script that informs patients of your office hours and policies:
Ensure that the entire care team is knowledgeable concerning office policy for patient inquiries, scheduling appointments and ER follow-up care.
- Access to Care Office Policy (example office policy for reference)
- Post ER Visit Patient Follow-up Letter - adult medicine (customizable Word version example)
- Post ER Visit Patient Follow-up Letter - family and pediatric medicine (customizable Word version example)
Oakland Southfield Physicians (OSP) and the Greater Detroit Area Health Council (GDAHC) collaborated with the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation (RWJF) to promote the Emergency Department Use (EDU) pilot program. Included on the RWJF website you will find the following educational information:
- A Video Describing the PCP Access Pilot
- Q & A Surrounding the Implementation of Low-Tech Solutions
- Emergency Room Use Resource Guide