National Nutrition Month 2024: Beyond the Table
Meals and snacks are an important part of a healthy eating pattern, but have you ever thought “Beyond the Table”? Where is your food grown and how has it been processed to get to your table? The choices we make affect not only our personal health, but also the health of our planet. Registered Dietitian Nutritionists (RDN) are experts in nutrition and can assist in creating healthful goals with sustainability in mind.
Quick Tips to focus on the farm-to-fork aspect of nutrition:
- Visit a farmer’s market to buy locally grown produce.
- Buy produce that is in season in your area.
- Start a garden – many items can be grown indoors or in pots on a porch!
- Get creative with leftovers to reduce food waste.
- Shop with a grocery list to avoid over-buying.
- Consider more plant-based meals and snacks.
- Meet with a registered dietitian nutritionist.
Click here for more information on National Nutrition Month, free resources for your patients, and how to get involved.