Nutrition Tips for a Successful School Year
As summer ends and the new school year begins, juggling new routines can be a challenge. Below are some ideas to ensure children are getting the nutrition they need for a successful school year.
- Start the day with a balanced breakfast that includes both protein and whole grain carbohydrates.
- Oatmeal cooked with low-fat milk and nuts or nut butter
- Whole grain waffle or toast with nut butter
- Greek yogurt, whole fruit, and granola
- Hard boiled egg with whole fruit or whole grain toast
- Involve children in making their lunches. Allowing children to make choices about what goes in their lunch empowers them to make healthy food choices. A balanced lunch includes whole fruit, vegetables, whole grain carbohydrate and lean protein.
- For example, apple slices, baby carrots, and a sandwich on whole grain bread with low-sodium turkey and a slice of cheese.
- Children often come home from school hungry. Keep nutritious snacks on-hand to offer after school and before dinner.
- Homemade trail mix: nuts, whole grain cereal, and dried fruit
- Hummus with whole grain crackers or vegetables
- Small apple with string cheese or nut butter
Providing balanced meals and snacks sets children up for success during the school day and beyond. The above tips will help provide children with the energy they need throughout the day.