MDHHS Notification of Coronavirus Treatment and Services
On March 17, 2020, the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services (MDHHS) released a notification indicating that they are working closely with healthcare providers, local public health departments, and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to respond to the growing public health threat posed by the COVID-19.
The notification also included the following information as it relates to treatment and services and coding guidelines:
Treatment and Services
The following services are covered to treat individuals with COVID-19 infection:
- Practitioner visits and services, including home visits and telemedicine services
- Clinical diagnostic laboratory tests and diagnostic imaging
- Prescribed drugs
- Medical supplies and equipment
- Inpatient and outpatient hospital services
- Long-term services and supports
- Other ancillary and medically necessary Medicaid-covered services, as appropriate
Medically necessary diagnostic testing for COVID-19 virus is a Medicaid covered benefit. There are two new Healthcare Common Procedure Coding System (HCPCS) codes for providers who need to test patients for Coronavirus, U0001 and U0002.
- HCPCS U0001 - Providers using the CDC 2019 Novel Coronavirus Real Time RT-PCR Diagnostic Test Panel may bill for that test using HCPCS code U0001.
- HCPCS U0002 - generally describes 2019-nCoV Coronavirus, SARS-CoV-2/2019-nCoV (COVID-19) using any technique, multiple types or subtypes, can be used by private laboratories and healthcare facilities.
The Medicaid claims processing system will be able to accept these codes on April 1, 2020 for dates of service on or after February 4, 2020. For additional coding information, click here.
Providers seeking reimbursement for Medicaid covered services are expected to report the diagnosis code(s) at the highest level of specificity in compliance with the International Classification of Diseases (ICD) coding guidelines and conventions.
Click here to view the MDHHS Numbered Letter to providers.